The Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow comes to Sunderland
August 5, 2021
After visiting five North East locations already this summer, the Go Smarter, Go Active Roadshow is geared up to arrive in Sunderland's Herrington park on 9 August!
Expect an action-packed week of free cycling activities for the whole family to enjoy- all with the aim of encouraging more people across the North East to upskill when it comes to cycling and build their riding confidence, so that they can make the most of sustainable, active travel in their day-to day lives.
The Roadshow will take place outdoors to ensure it is Covid safe, and will be led by the friendly, skilled cycle training experts from Sunderland Young People's Bike Project.
All activities are completely free, and with a mix of bookable and drop-in sessions every day, there really is something for everyone, no matter your ability or previous cycling experience.
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: "It's brilliant to see the Smarter, Go Active Roadshow heading to Sunderland, after it proved so popular during the first three weeks of its tour of the North East. The Roadshow provides a brilliant opportunity for people to find out more about cycling as a first-class, fun and sustainable way of getting around. There's an abundance of benefits that come from traveling actively by bike or on foot, including benefits to your physical and mental health, as well as the environment.
"Experts are on hand at the Roadshows to help make cycling work for you, no matter your previous experience. Plus, everything is delivered in a relaxed environment, providing the perfect opportunity for everyone to develop their skills over the summer."
Councillor Linda Williams, Portfolio Holder for Vibrant City at Sunderland City Council,said: "We want to encourage even more people in Sunderland to get involved with cycling and these events taking place in such wonderful surroundings will be a great way to get started for anyone who doesn't know where to begin.
"The events taking place as part of the Go Smarter Go Active Roadshow offer something for everybody from beginners getting their first taste of cycling to those more experienced riders who will enjoy the opportunity to learn more about safety, bike maintenance or simply using cycling as a healthy and sustainable mode of transport."
The event programme includes bookable and drop-in sessions, which run every day from 10am-3pm for adults and children (please note sessions start slightly later at 11.15 on Mondays).
Bookable roadshow events include:
- Get Back on Your Bike sessions, designed to give adults, who are either new to cycling or have not cycled in a long time, the opportunity to refresh their bike skills, confidence and knowledge;
- Family fun cycles - leisurely family bike rides led by an instructor;
- The popular 'Learn to Ride' cycle training sessions for kids aged 5+ years
- Adult confidence booster ride-alongs - relaxed group rides around the local area, led by an instructor.
All equipment is provided but you can bring your own bike if you prefer. Spaces are limited to allow for social distancing and to operate within Covid guidelines, so we advise you book early to avoid disappointment.
Drop-in sessions are also available, with no requirement to pre-book. They include:
- Dr Bike health checks where people can bring along their bike for a free assessment or basic repairs (such as minor issued with tyres, gears or brakes);
- 'Bike Maintenance 101' interactive workshops;
- 'Get into Gear' demos - showing people how to fix a puncture, plan a journey by bike and more;
- 'Try a Bike' sessions where people can try out a variety of different cycles types to see what works for them, including electric bikes, tandems, cargo bikes and more!
The Go Smarter, Go Active campaign is being delivered on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee by Transport North East, working in partnership with the seven North East Local Authorities.
Funding for the campaign is being provided by the government's Active Travel Fund.
For more information or to book visit www.gosmartergoactive.co.uk/events or call 0191 433 2973.
#GoSmarterGoActive or #LetsGetCycling